One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The underside of an architectural structure such as an arch, a balcony, or overhanging eaves.
- ‘For those of you with an overhang to your roof line, you'll want to apply a flat soffit to the underside of the overhang.’
- ‘Combined with a sufficient number of low vents in the eaves or soffits, it offers a workable alternative for ventilating just about any type of attic.’
- ‘A transition between the scale of the landscape and that of the living quarters is provided by the white soffit of the inverted roof slope, which signals the gap leading to the bedrooms at the rear.’
- ‘This variation is larger than needed for structural capacity and was made deliberately to accentuate the curvature of the soffit and enhance the graceful, arch-like lines of these spans.’
- ‘A window that does not have the benefit of a soffit or porch roof above it may need flashing or a drip edge above it.’
- ‘Keep all gutters, downspouts, soffits, and eaves clean and in good repair.’
- ‘Most commonly, owners of stucco homes decide to replace their soffits and fascia boards and wrap their wood trim with a vinyl or metal product that looks like painted wood to enjoy a virtually maintenance-free exterior.’
- ‘The openings should be equally distributed between the soffit and ridge vents or between each gable face.’
- ‘These Asian ladybugs may overwinter under siding or shingles, in attics or soffits, or even hibernate indoors where they become active on warm days and seek a way outdoors.’
- ‘Typically produced in a plant away from the construction site, precast concrete can be formed into virtually any shape to create structural elements or flat panels articulated with copings, returns, soffits, jambs, or sills.’
- ‘To prevent sparks from entering your home through vents cover attic, soffit, and floor vents with wire mesh no larger than 1/8 of an inch, make sure eave and soffit vents are closer to the roof line than the wall.’
- ‘On the walls and on the soffits of the arches there were mosaics of a large number of saints, and it is thought that these represented a pictorial expression of the Prayer of Intercession in the Byzantine liturgy.’
- ‘Attic vents can be installed along the entire ceiling cavity to help ensure proper airflow from the soffit to the attic, helping to make a home more comfortable and energy efficient.’
- ‘The proposed works to those houses also include the replacement of doors, windows, fascias, soffits, gutters, the installation of central heating and insulation together with environmental works.’
- ‘The ceiling panels, curved soffits, and decorative guardrails all sport themes from Native American culture.’
- ‘The walls are fully glazed from a low sill to the underside of the soffit.’
- ‘All you see of the system are a few discreet grilles in the soffits of the vaults.’
- ‘The window soffits and ceiling medallion were made from the plaster casts acquired by the Metropolitan Museum in the 1920s.’
- ‘The exterior soffit costs more and uses more space than direct attachment or heavier gauge metal, but it affords better noise control.’
- ‘The stadium's design, which suggests an ornate airline hangar, is punctuated with arches balconies, soffits, and pilasters.’
Early 17th century: from French soffite or Italian soffitto, based on Latin suffixus ‘fastened below’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.