One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sofa that can be converted into a bed, typically for occasional use.
- ‘By New Year's Eve I was exhausted and fell asleep on the sofa bed in the living room next to the dogs.’
- ‘Dual-purpose furniture such as the sofa bed, was also convenient for British travelers and military men.’
- ‘We sat down and talked for hours and he stayed for dinner until it was almost after 1am in the morning, so he crashed on my sofa bed upstairs.’
- ‘If you want to invite guests, you may be able to squeeze a sofa bed into the study, but it is unlikely that planning will be granted for an extension or a further bedroom in the near future.’
- ‘After a short meal of sandwiches and cold coffee, Josh went to sleep in the guest room, Sophie in the game room on the sofa bed, and Abbey in her own bed.’
- ‘I lifted out the sofa bed and it unfolded like a letter.’
- ‘At the same time, the sofa bed gave its owner the added flexibility of an extra bed without an extra bedroom.’
- ‘Make sure there's a small reading light close enough to the sofa bed so that it can be turned off while the guest is in bed, and put a small alarm clock on the dresser or bookshelf nearby.’
- ‘I will set up the sofa bed in the living room for you.’
- ‘Dad set up the sofa bed downstairs for us later that night.’
- ‘I sat on the sofa bed in her room she used when friends stayed round.’
- ‘After a while he reappeared with an armful of blankets and led us downstairs to the living room where he had set up the sofa bed.’
- ‘Today I bought a sofa bed for the front room, from the same wonderful people who made my living room couches last year.’
- ‘Her tiny council bungalow is neat and clean, and she has a sofa bed in the sitting room, which means she can have visitors.’
- ‘After sleeping on a sofa bed for 20 years it's so nice to have a REAL bed and a room to go along with it too!’
- ‘The most commonly illustrated combinations of sofa and bed in the nineteenth century were the bed lounge, the bed couch, and the davenport sofa bed.’
- ‘A sofa bed serves the dual purpose of being a couch and a bed and thereby saving space for a bed.’
- ‘There is a double sofa bed in the living room for either Jake or Melissa.’
- ‘There was more than enough storage space even when one of those sons decided to join us for a couple of days, and our sleeping area could be separated by a retractable partition from the sofa bed on which he spent his nights.’
- ‘The other room had twin beds in it and the first thought was to have Meagen and I stay in there and Tommy would sleep on the sofa bed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.