One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sofa that can be converted into a bed, typically for occasional use.
- ‘I will set up the sofa bed in the living room for you.’
- ‘Dad set up the sofa bed downstairs for us later that night.’
- ‘There is a double sofa bed in the living room for either Jake or Melissa.’
- ‘Today I bought a sofa bed for the front room, from the same wonderful people who made my living room couches last year.’
- ‘A sofa bed serves the dual purpose of being a couch and a bed and thereby saving space for a bed.’
- ‘The most commonly illustrated combinations of sofa and bed in the nineteenth century were the bed lounge, the bed couch, and the davenport sofa bed.’
- ‘I sat on the sofa bed in her room she used when friends stayed round.’
- ‘We sat down and talked for hours and he stayed for dinner until it was almost after 1am in the morning, so he crashed on my sofa bed upstairs.’
- ‘I lifted out the sofa bed and it unfolded like a letter.’
- ‘Dual-purpose furniture such as the sofa bed, was also convenient for British travelers and military men.’
- ‘By New Year's Eve I was exhausted and fell asleep on the sofa bed in the living room next to the dogs.’
- ‘If you want to invite guests, you may be able to squeeze a sofa bed into the study, but it is unlikely that planning will be granted for an extension or a further bedroom in the near future.’
- ‘The other room had twin beds in it and the first thought was to have Meagen and I stay in there and Tommy would sleep on the sofa bed.’
- ‘After sleeping on a sofa bed for 20 years it's so nice to have a REAL bed and a room to go along with it too!’
- ‘Her tiny council bungalow is neat and clean, and she has a sofa bed in the sitting room, which means she can have visitors.’
- ‘After a short meal of sandwiches and cold coffee, Josh went to sleep in the guest room, Sophie in the game room on the sofa bed, and Abbey in her own bed.’
- ‘Make sure there's a small reading light close enough to the sofa bed so that it can be turned off while the guest is in bed, and put a small alarm clock on the dresser or bookshelf nearby.’
- ‘There was more than enough storage space even when one of those sons decided to join us for a couple of days, and our sleeping area could be separated by a retractable partition from the sofa bed on which he spent his nights.’
- ‘After a while he reappeared with an armful of blankets and led us downstairs to the living room where he had set up the sofa bed.’
- ‘At the same time, the sofa bed gave its owner the added flexibility of an extra bed without an extra bedroom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.