Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for state-owned enterprise
- ‘The government has already helped more than 12 million laid-off SOE employees find new jobs in the past two years, Zhang said.’
- ‘Privatization refers to the transfer of ownership, management and control of the SOE to some private interest, individual, group or private corporation.’
- ‘The first method of privatization allowed an SOE to become a joint-stock or limited liability corporation with shares being offered for sale to the public.’
- ‘A bank run would force a large number of SOEs to close their doors.’
- ‘His ministerial mates would stick him on the board of an SOE, a quango or one of umpteen other types of publicly funded organisation.’
Special Operations Executive.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.