One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A farmer or farm worker who ploughs the land.‘he plays a gunfighter turned sodbuster’‘the Yankee sodbuster with his plough that broke the plains’
- ‘Later, sodbusters would curse the tenacity of the area's gnarled trees and search for arable land elsewhere, leaving the timber to deer and squirrels.’
- ‘From the style of the cowboys and cattlemen, the film's chief antagonists, to the salt-of the-earth sodbusters, the film's look was often inspired by Frederic Remington's work.’
- ‘The alliance of South and West - Georgia planters and Illinois sodbusters - that had dominated American politics since Jefferson's day splintered, then collapsed.’
- ‘Two-Dollar Bill and his gang had arrived in Goatswood, another boom town serving the hundreds of panhandlers and sodbusters coming into the territory to make their fortunes.’
- ‘It was a place for the many cowpunchers, panhandlers, and sodbusters to come in and enjoy themselves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.