One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A farmer or farm worker who ploughs the land.‘he plays a gunfighter turned sodbuster’‘the Yankee sodbuster with his plough that broke the plains’
- ‘It was a place for the many cowpunchers, panhandlers, and sodbusters to come in and enjoy themselves.’
- ‘From the style of the cowboys and cattlemen, the film's chief antagonists, to the salt-of the-earth sodbusters, the film's look was often inspired by Frederic Remington's work.’
- ‘The alliance of South and West - Georgia planters and Illinois sodbusters - that had dominated American politics since Jefferson's day splintered, then collapsed.’
- ‘Two-Dollar Bill and his gang had arrived in Goatswood, another boom town serving the hundreds of panhandlers and sodbusters coming into the territory to make their fortunes.’
- ‘Later, sodbusters would curse the tenacity of the area's gnarled trees and search for arable land elsewhere, leaving the timber to deer and squirrels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.