One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as submodifier Used for emphasis.‘a socking great diamond’
extremely, very, really, thoroughly, exceedingly, immensely, incredibly, amazingly, remarkably, exceptionally, uncommonly, extraordinarily, perfectly, truly, simply, positive, positively, downrightView synonyms
- ‘Then walk five minutes to the socking great Roman arena, where they've replaced men vs. lions with men vs. bulls.’
- ‘There's a socking big tap on the inlet manifold.’
- ‘For socking great nosefuls of scent, plant Albertine, a lovely, vigorous old climbing rose, with rich salmon-pink flowers every summer.’
- ‘The crew travels in a Biodiesel powered RV [recreational vehicle], a socking huge thing with a garage in the back half.’
- ‘Most of our summer visitors are, of course, really nice, sometimes even when they come down from London in a socking big car.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.