One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A commercially valuable salmon of the North Pacific and rivers draining into it.
Oncorhynchus nerka, family Salmonidae. See also kokaneeAlso called red salmon
- ‘Where salmon fishermen once enjoyed sockeye, silver, and chum seasons from July through December, they can now fish only for chum, and the season lasts a scant four or five days.’
- ‘So at breeding time many of the river sockeye that swam over to the beach must have been relatively unsuccessful at passing on their genes.’
- ‘At that time, the sockeyes in the stream and the ones at Pleasure Point had been breeding in their respective habitats for at most thirteen generations.’
- ‘Salmon and steelhead have declined drastically, Snake River coho salmon have been declared extinct, and sockeye salmon are close to extinction, according to the USFWS.’
- ‘The sockeye are very similar to kokanee salmon, which do not migrate and spend their entire lives in Redfish Lake.’
- ‘Construction timing, geared toward the beginning of 2005, coincides with the birth and early life cycles of sockeye, chinook and coho salmon, steelhead and sea-running cutthroat trout.’
- ‘Salmon - chinook, coho, and sockeye - run at various times from late May through September, and Dolly Varden char and cutthroat trout are plentiful in the streams.’
- ‘Several species, including white sturgeon, pink salmon, chum salmon, coho salmon, and sockeye salmon, come inland to spawn.’
- ‘At different times of the year, the Campbell hosts all five species of Pacific salmon: chinook, coho, chum, sockeye, pink - and even the odd Atlantic salmon escaped from a nearby fish farm.’
- ‘Most canned salmon is wild; cans labeled red salmon contain sockeye salmon, which has a more robust flavor than pink salmon, the other canned variety.’
- ‘On one river where 90,000 sockeyes were expected to reach the spawning grounds the number which arrived was only 10,000 and if that situation is repeated elsewhere, there could be serious problems.’
- ‘On good days, each fisherman can gather thousands of pounds of salmon; sockeye are the most valuable.’
- ‘Substitute canned red sockeye salmon for the crab in your favorite crab cake recipe.’
- ‘Each run of Pacific chinook, coho, sockeye, pink, and chum salmon knows how to survive in a specific spawning stream.’
- ‘The 3.5-ounce packet of sockeye provides 22 grams of protein and 8 g fat, including 1,100 mg of those omega - 3 fatty acids.’
- ‘Our pilot tells us to watch out for bears, and sure enough we spot a shadowy figure trouncing around at the mouth of a creek just a few hundred yards away - apparently sockeye and coho were on the menu.’
- ‘Another effect of the bears is reflected in the dorsal humps of male sockeye and pink salmon: they are smaller than the humps of salmon not exposed to bears.’
- ‘I assumed that females spawn once per day for 3 days, which is close to the observed duration of spawning by female sockeye salmon.’
- ‘Dog, silver, humpy, and sockeye salmon are the fish best utilized for smoking and drying.’
- ‘King salmon run from mid-May into June; sockeye follow from early June through July; and silver run from late July through September.’
Late 19th century: from Salish sukai, literally ‘fish of fishes’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.