One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A socket for an electric plug that is fixed to a wall and connected to an electricity supply.
- ‘The plug-in burglar alarm has a built-in battery to power the device if there's a mains failure or should the intruder remove the alarm from the socket outlet.’
- ‘Homeowners can still replace accessories such as socket outlets, control switches and ceiling roses without infringing the law - although there are exceptions in high-risk areas, including bathrooms, saunas and kitchens.’
- ‘The regulations do not affect small jobs such as providing a socket outlet, or adding a light switch to an existing circuit.’
- ‘There are two rooms available, heated and fitted with 30 socket outlets for computers, ergonomically designed tables and connection to the internet.’
- ‘Generally throughout the UK there are not enough socket outlets to provide power to electrical equipment in the home the increase in ownership of electrical consumer durables can lead to the increased use of extension cables and adaptors which can lead to both trip hazards and overloading problems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.