Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A social dance at which participants dance in their stockinged feet.
- ‘The band played at all the beach dances and high school sock hops.’
- ‘The lyrics of ‘Sixteen Tons’ detail the difficult life of a coal miner - a far cry from the relatively carefree life of shared sodas and sock hops.’
- ‘Those who came of age in the 1950s are honestly wistful for the innocent pleasures of Perry Como, Chubby Checker, and sock hops.’
- ‘Maybe going to sock hops and hanging out with friends at the mall on weekends is important to her.’
- ‘She notes that even in the romanticized 1950s-era of drive-ins, soda fountains and sock hops, many young couples had long-term relationships.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.