One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The study of the development, structure, and functioning of human society.
- ‘His ideas have profoundly influenced the writing and teaching of sociology and social theory around the world.’
- ‘Organizational sociology raises interesting questions about the relationship between organizations and the environments in which they operate.’
- ‘At the end of the nineteenth century, anthropology and sociology were, like history, becoming professionalized.’
- ‘Interestingly, these two chapters refer to Feagin as developing a new urban sociology.’
- ‘The subject covers personal growth, sociology and culture, and science and technology.’
- ‘They are concerned with the relation between structure and agency, or individual and society, which is central to sociology.’
- ‘Mainstream sociology departments already have studies of the family.’
- ‘Contemporary historical sociology is concerned above all with how the state has developed since the Middle Ages.’
- ‘Major social sciences today are economics, political science, anthropology, and sociology.’
- ‘A fairly large chunk of my sociology studies was devoted to media sociology and women's studies.’
- ‘He has blended scientific approach and analysis in his studies of the soul and sociology of the folk arts of Kerala.’
- ‘Adorno is undoubtedly the most important figure in the development of the sociology of music in the 20th century.’
- ‘The hot topics now involve the integration of economics with psychology and sociology.’
- ‘These more recent museums often combine art with anthropology and sociology.’
- ‘The theoretical tradition in sociology known as symbolic interactionism has also been regarded by many writers as a further influence.’
- ‘Indeed the main theme of historical sociology is an interest in the ways in which societies develop through history.’
- ‘A very popular analytical technique in psychology and sociology is factor analysis.’
- ‘To look at studies and scholars in the sociology of religion demonstrates the roles in structuring society that religion fulfils.’
- ‘I personally believe psychology, politics, sociology and economics make up what we know to be political science.’
- ‘Anthropology follows one set of standards, while sociology opts for another.’
- 1.1 The study of social problems.
- ‘This curriculum first introduces middle school aged children to the history, psychology and sociology of prejudice and discrimination.’
- ‘Best devotes considerable energy to situating himself in the historiography of the sociology of deviance and social control.’
- ‘A sociology of violence in the schools is primarily a sociology of exclusion.’
Mid 19th century: from French sociologie (see socio-, -logy).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.