One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘These patterns include both phonologically governed alternations, such as the aspirated allophone of word-initial, and also sociolinguistically correlated variants.’
- ‘The textbook does use the reference terms of ‘Mr.’, ‘Mrs. ’, and ‘Ms.’ but in a sociolinguistically inappropriate manner.’
- ‘These variables are sociolinguistically marked and, according to the prevailing linguistic opinion in Sweden, in the process of more or less rapid change from regional dialect towards spoken standard.’
- ‘There are many other variables in English which show similar sociolinguistically significant distributions, such as those studied in Norwich in the 1970s in an urban dialect study modeled after the New York research.’
- ‘It is evident that Latinate vocabulary consists of a stylistically or sociolinguistically elevated layer in the overall English vocabulary.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.