Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Combining social and cultural factors:‘the sociocultural differences between the sexes’
- ‘Satcher uses historical and sociocultural factors to analyze the particular mental health care needs of each minority group.’
- ‘Most theories of dieting, body image, and eating disorders assign a major role to sociocultural factors, such as the media.’
- ‘As women, we are influenced by the same sociocultural factors that affect all women in our culture.’
- ‘The creation of a national identity has not been easy considering the differences between island sociocultural practices, languages, and resources.’
- ‘The influence of sociocultural factors on language minority children's development is the second significant factor analyzed.’
- ‘Is information misleading because the research methods used do not take into consideration the sociocultural background of participants?’
- ‘The intention is to explore how the approaches and methodologies of sociocultural anthropology have been applied to the study of the everyday phenomena of social life in early modern Italy.’
- ‘She added that each nation should develop its own format fitting its historical and sociocultural context to meet the universal standards of norms of democracy.’
- ‘Early family therapy models tended to focus narrowly on the interior of the family, inattentive to larger sociocultural influences.’
- ‘Health and nutrition are affected by a variety of sociocultural factors.’
- ‘Further, sociocultural mechanisms have been identified as important predisposing factors in binge eating and as underlying factors in the etiology of bulimia.’
- ‘Feminist folkloristics, as developed in the United States and Canada, understands gender as a fundamentally sociocultural construct.’
- ‘It is evident that issues of power in the existing sociocultural political context continue to affect children's daily lived realities.’
- ‘Attention is dynamic, and there are sociocultural influences that push us to pay attention one way or another.’
- ‘Research on health promoting lifestyles has focused on individual choice with little attention to sociocultural and environmental factors.’
- ‘The degree of difficulty of bilingual language development depends on a complex array of sociocultural and individual factors.’
- ‘The rules which determine the appropriate choice in conversation derive from the arcane art of knowing the ins and outs of the complex sociocultural fabric of Korean.’
- ‘Many social and psychological interventions require a thorough understanding of the sociocultural context, which outsiders typically do not have.’
- ‘A variety of sociocultural influences combined in the 1990s to improve the status of women in the federal workplace.’
- ‘Members of a cultural identity group tend to share certain worldviews, norms, values, goal priorities, and sociocultural heritage.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.