Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] Various aspects or branches of the study of human society, considered as an educational discipline.‘arts and social studies’‘the teaching of social studies’[as modifier] ‘unpublished language and social studies materials’
- ‘Critics rightly point to serious flaws in some guidelines offered for the teaching of social studies.’
- ‘Leo Casey has been nationally recognized for his work teaching civics and social studies.’
- ‘Meltzer's book is a fantastic read and makes wonderful connections between social studies and language arts.’
- ‘The test covers rhymes in Telugu, mathematics, science and social studies.’
- ‘The council represents 26,000 teachers of history, social studies and related subjects.’
- ‘At the middle school, students take language arts and social studies in Spanish.’
- ‘His numerous academic awards included diplomas in social studies and sociology.’
- ‘Later that very same day in social studies, we were introduced to the concept of melting pots and mosaics.’
- ‘He used unified studies of an area, including language, social studies and art, combining all the subjects into one.’
- ‘Teachers across disciplines will highlight math elements in history, social studies and English.’
- ‘Advanced math and science courses were also provided as well as courses in language arts, social studies, and the arts.’
- ‘The programme may allow students to sample different languages, or else it may be part of a social studies or language arts unit.’
- ‘Local health authorities or service agencies may have a needs assessment or more focused social studies of your area.’
- ‘Amish was driven towards technical drawing, geography, social studies and principles of business.’
- ‘It can be a multi-discipline project including both history and social studies.’
- ‘He also makes a fine case for teaching history as a separate discipline, instead of lumping it together with social studies.’
- ‘As a sophomore, I asked an education professor how to get certified to teach social studies.’
- ‘The guide will support secondary school curricula in art, English, social studies and humanities.’
- ‘Schools replaced mythology and history with the more amorphous social studies.’
- ‘At 23, he is on the verge of completing a degree in history, politics and social studies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.