One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of compulsory contribution to enable the provision of state assistance in sickness, unemployment, etc.
- ‘It is simply wrong to equate money contributed through social insurance with money contributed through taxes.’
- ‘It must be remembered that social security was designed as social insurance for exactly these workers.’
- ‘Churchill was converted to the Bismarckian model of social insurance following a visit to Germany.’
- ‘Health Secretary John Reid said the current system of NHS funding by taxation was fairer, claiming social insurance was effectively a tax on work.’
- ‘Sweden's extensive system of social insurance pays for medical and dental care.’
- ‘The judges stated that a person covered by social insurance who was incorrectly refused authorisation was entitled to have the costs of treatment reimbursed.’
- ‘Part-time workers do not receive any social insurance, pension, union rights, or paid holidays.’
- ‘A move towards social insurance would not necessarily create a two-tier healthcare system, the report states.’
- ‘He dismissed other options for funding the health service, such as social insurance or private provision.’
- ‘He added that related mechanisms, such as social insurance and unemployment benefits are also being strengthened to build a comprehensive job-safety net.’
- ‘Implementing systems of social insurance for health care has proved, however, to be much more complex than expected.’
- ‘Moreover, there is neither any worthwhile social insurance nor old-age pension.’
- ‘Poverty was to be conquered by a commitment to full employment together with social insurance.’
- ‘The idea of social insurance against risk is quite compatible with a dynamic, free-market economy.’
- ‘There are lots of good places here, good theatre, the people are nice, there's a good social life, good social insurance.’
- ‘Social Security needs to stay as social insurance.’
- ‘It is funded through social insurance, rather than general taxation, and patients, armed with reams of performance statistics, can choose where they are treated.’
- ‘They designed several other Social Security proposals, which became known as public assistance as distinct from social insurance.’
- ‘The government has submitted to the House of Representatives a draft law on social insurance that would cover health, accident, pension, life and retirement.’
- ‘In 1942 a report by William Beveridge proposed a comprehensive British system of national social insurance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.