One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a report made by a probation officer or social worker on a person's character and circumstances, which may be required by a court before sentencing.
- ‘Sheriff J. Craig C. McSherry said he had rarely seen such a bad social inquiry report.’
- ‘Sentence was deferred until January 16 for social inquiry reports.’
- ‘Before deciding on the ‘disposal’ of first-time offenders, judges send for social inquiry reports.’
- ‘Refusing bail, Sheriff Graeme Napier deferred sentence until December 15 for a social inquiry report and community service assessment.’
- ‘The case was continued until November 17 for social inquiry reports.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.