Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK) a report made by a probation officer or social worker on a person's character and circumstances, which may be required by a court before sentencing.
- ‘Before deciding on the ‘disposal’ of first-time offenders, judges send for social inquiry reports.’
- ‘Sheriff J. Craig C. McSherry said he had rarely seen such a bad social inquiry report.’
- ‘Refusing bail, Sheriff Graeme Napier deferred sentence until December 15 for a social inquiry report and community service assessment.’
- ‘The case was continued until November 17 for social inquiry reports.’
- ‘Sentence was deferred until January 16 for social inquiry reports.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.