One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Southern California.‘the weather is so beautiful here in SoCal’as modifier ‘SoCal surfer dudes’
- ‘SoCal racer chicks can seem a pretty elitist bunch.’
- ‘It helps that I met a couple SoCal women who were nice to me.’
- ‘The band nailed the dreamy California sound associated with the Eagles or Brian Wilson by spending various parts of the last few years relaxing on SoCal's beaches.’
- ‘But this winter, one SoCal environmental group is placing its hopes in the power of human ingenuity.’
- ‘Organisers surveyed the impact from last year's wildfires and stormy SoCal winter, and redesigned the course.’
- ‘I'll see you in SoCal.’
- ‘Now living the SoCal life, the future Hall of Famer has grown out his hair into a scruffy mop, cultivated a thick goatee and is more relaxed than ever.’
- ‘Musically, things don't deviate from Zevon's tried and true SoCal '70s rock sound except for occasional forays into Irish folk and French pop music.’
- ‘She pauses next to her convertible, soaking up the SoCal sun as the world-famous Hollywood sign beckons in the background.’
- ‘They are made of white synthetic, so they do not absorb the heat of the SoCal sun hundreds of feet up as do the darker colors of many climbing shoes.’
Late 19th century (originally as So. Cal): abbreviation of southern California.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.