One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Southern California.‘the weather is so beautiful here in SoCal’as modifier ‘SoCal surfer dudes’
- ‘Organisers surveyed the impact from last year's wildfires and stormy SoCal winter, and redesigned the course.’
- ‘Now living the SoCal life, the future Hall of Famer has grown out his hair into a scruffy mop, cultivated a thick goatee and is more relaxed than ever.’
- ‘The band nailed the dreamy California sound associated with the Eagles or Brian Wilson by spending various parts of the last few years relaxing on SoCal's beaches.’
- ‘SoCal racer chicks can seem a pretty elitist bunch.’
- ‘She pauses next to her convertible, soaking up the SoCal sun as the world-famous Hollywood sign beckons in the background.’
- ‘They are made of white synthetic, so they do not absorb the heat of the SoCal sun hundreds of feet up as do the darker colors of many climbing shoes.’
- ‘But this winter, one SoCal environmental group is placing its hopes in the power of human ingenuity.’
- ‘Musically, things don't deviate from Zevon's tried and true SoCal '70s rock sound except for occasional forays into Irish folk and French pop music.’
- ‘I'll see you in SoCal.’
- ‘It helps that I met a couple SoCal women who were nice to me.’
Late 19th century (originally as So. Cal): abbreviation of southern California.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.