One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Calypso music with elements of soul, originally from Trinidad.as modifier ‘a soca band’
- ‘Calypso and soca music sway the body of festive dancers to a mixture of Afro-Caribbean rhythms with witty lyrics and heavy metal or finely tuned steel drums.’
- ‘Undoubtedly, the largest single leap in calypso evolution came with the 1973 debut of soca music.’
- ‘They had a nice little band playing songs of the Caribbean too, like Yellow Bird, and some Bob Marley and some of this year's soca music.’
- ‘The St Joseph's Convent Steel Band bang-started the show with calypso and soca medleys and early arrivals were invited to sample the local dishes on sale.’
- ‘The basis of this performance highlighted the range of products at Courts and she danced to a popular Christmas soca song.’
- ‘The festival brought the complex alive as bright ribbons floated and children twirled and danced in colourful costumes to the sounds of Latin and soca music.’
- ‘After spending Carnival season 2005 in Port-of-Spain, I just might be able to recite all the lyrics of the top ten soca songs upon request.’
- ‘Release at least one anthology of calypso and soca hits every year.’
- ‘The facility also offers a variety of music, including dance, reggae, soca and pop.’
- ‘There are many different kinds of music within our culture: reggae, calypso, soca, dub.’
- ‘Last year Bomani hit it big with his wonderfully written and performed tribute to soca music entitled ‘Who Am I’.’
- ‘The talks also featured pan music and a soca demonstration by Machel Montano.’
- ‘They believe more traditional forms such as calypso, reggae and soca are in danger of being overshadowed.’
- ‘The soca music is not what I am used to but it is good.’
- ‘Reality is that soca has overtaken the role of calypso rooted in fundamental mid-20th century style.’
- ‘Music trucks blasted as they moved at what seemed like one mile an hour as the revelers gyrated to soca rhythms.’
- ‘Citizens had assembled with their coolers and chairs as they revelled to the sounds of soca and calypso from the bands.’
- ‘Also giving commendable performances were calypsonian Eunice Peters, who performed the song House of Music, and petite soca diva Sherry Ann Church.’
- ‘The artwork and woodwork are must-haves and the local calypso and soca music featured on the CD's will give you a true taste of St Lucia.’
- ‘Gone are the days when the BamBoo Club on Toronto's trendy Queen Street held sole sway over calypso and soca artists.’
1970s: blend of soul and calypso.
(in the UK) serious and organized crime agency.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.