One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sedate and serious person.
fogey, old fogey, conservative, traditionalist, conventionalist, diehard, conformist, bourgeois, museum piece, fossil, dinosaur, troglodyteView synonyms
- ‘Well-crafted dialogue will indicate if a character is smart or dumb, honest or dishonest, amusing or an old sobersides.’
- ‘My father was the funny one, and I grew up a sobersides.’
- ‘He has played many quips and pranks, as if to assure me he is no old sobersides.’
- ‘Fred may develop into such a careful old sobersides that his mother will be ashamed of him.’
- ‘Fay is no sobersides, but amusement was not his intent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.