One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small domesticated sheep of a primitive breed with brown fleece and horns in both sexes, formerly confined to the island of Soay in the St Kilda group.
- ‘He shared his wife's interest in the arts she is an artist and became involved in conserving and raising a flock of Soay sheep.’
- ‘It was inhabited by Soay sheep, goats, and a couple of New Forest ponies.’
- ‘Her owner had given her up for dead, but Soay sheep are a tough breed, renowned for their ability to survive in poor conditions.’
- ‘She has also been the proud owner for many years of a small flock of rare Soay sheep whose wool she uses the wool for rugs.’
- ‘For 4000 years man has inhabited this bleak group of islands, raising squat, brown Soay sheep and collecting seabirds for food, feathers and fat for their lamps.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.