One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small domesticated sheep of a primitive breed with brown fleece and horns in both sexes, formerly confined to the island of Soay in the St Kilda group.
- ‘She has also been the proud owner for many years of a small flock of rare Soay sheep whose wool she uses the wool for rugs.’
- ‘Her owner had given her up for dead, but Soay sheep are a tough breed, renowned for their ability to survive in poor conditions.’
- ‘For 4000 years man has inhabited this bleak group of islands, raising squat, brown Soay sheep and collecting seabirds for food, feathers and fat for their lamps.’
- ‘He shared his wife's interest in the arts she is an artist and became involved in conserving and raising a flock of Soay sheep.’
- ‘It was inhabited by Soay sheep, goats, and a couple of New Forest ponies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.