Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large northern owl that breeds mainly in the Arctic tundra, the male being entirely white and the female having darker markings.
- ‘On the other hand, there is a rich community of specialist and generalist predators (arctic foxes, stoats, snowy owls, rough-legged hawks, gulls, jaegers and ravens), all of which feed on lemmings.’
- ‘The goose-predator interaction is further complicated by the presence of nesting snowy owls in peak lemming years.’
- ‘The booth is loads of fun, I learned that a couple in Dakota Country has three ring-necked doves in their backyard and a couple from Blooming had a snowy owl in their yard last week.’
- ‘The vertebrate class Aves includes the birds, an extremely distinctive and successful clade, with an estimated 9000 species worldwide, including the snowy owl pictured here.’
- ‘On his shoulder rested a beautiful snowy owl, while in his arms was a baby raccoon.’
- ‘Raptors such as peregrine falcon, rough-legged hawk, and snowy owl can also be found throughout the town.’
- ‘Big Oil wants to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge - which would harm polar bears, snowy owls and other arctic wildlife.’
- ‘A recent lack of observations in late fall and during winter may explain the apparent absences of four species: rough-legged hawk, snowy owl, short-eared owl, and common raven.’
- ‘The evidence of past glacial activity is obvious, though, and there is an abundance of cold-climate wildlife: ptarmigan and hares whose coats turn pure white in winter, reindeer, and even snowy owls.’
- ‘A snowy owl glided low down past me, brushing my leg with its great wing.’
- ‘During our study, pomarine jaegers and snowy owls nested only in the same years as Steller's eiders.’
- ‘Children are legally allowed to keep the birds and while snowy owls such as Hedwig are difficult to come by, a barn owl can be bought for as little as £30 to £40.’
- ‘Alison was painting a snowy owl, Migel a crow and Katrina a hummingbird.’
- ‘Researchers are also studying Arctic foxes, lemmings, snowy owls and vegetation.’
- ‘The snowy owls that star in the eponymous books and films just look so darn cute, and their chicks even more so.’
- ‘In addition, snowy owls, rough-legged hawks, and stoats are also present and prey on lemmings but not on geese.’
- ‘She crept behind a bush, seeing a snowy owl a few feet away with a cave in the background, standing over a rabbit, hooting victoriously to itself.’
- ‘This morning at the shed near where the snowy owl had perched, two men are unloading fertilizer and preparing to put it on the field.’
- ‘In one case, a female Steller's eider was killed by a snowy owl, after which her ducklings were adopted into a nearby brood.’
- ‘In Britain we have one very rare species which is the snowy owl but this does not breed here, being only a winter visitor to Scotland.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.