One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tyre with a tread which gives extra traction on snow or ice.
- ‘Combine the allroad's ability to raise its ground clearance by up to eight inches with suitable snow tyres, and the big capacity estate will get through to the most remote places.’
- ‘In the winter, Swiss cars also come fitted with snow tyres as standard.’
- ‘She commented that it was possible to tell who had chains on their tyres, because they continued to speed along over 100 kph - she merely had snow tyres.’
- ‘You couldn't see the road at all, but my little Suzkui Wagon complete with snow tyres did me proud.’
- ‘Cars run on skinny snow tyres in Sweden, with sharp studs to penetrate the icy surface and find good grip underneath.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.