Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The character or quality of being a snob.‘the worst aspects of English class snobbery’
affectation, pretentiousness, condescension, affectedness, pretension, elitism, snobbishness, arrogance, pride, haughtiness, airs, airs and graces, disdain, disdainfulness, superciliousness, exclusivenesssnootiness, uppitinesssideView synonyms
- ‘The old snobberies of rock purists and classical elitists make less and less sense now.’
- ‘There is a lot of pretentiousness and snobbery associated with literature.’
- ‘Fans of such cheap television will accuse me of snobbery and elitism.’
- ‘Horse riding suffers from the taint of elitism and snobbery which is a legacy of the past.’
- ‘It's bordering on elitist snobbery, and is already as boring as the series.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.