One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in white usage) the practice of hunting and killing Aboriginal people with guns.‘women and children were completely unprotected from settlers who chose to go out and do a bit of snipe shooting’
- ‘Shooting aboriginals became sport—"snipe-shooting" they called it, and hungry aboriginals were poisoned like rats.’
- ‘Private persons go out to kill blacks and call it 'snipe- shooting'.’
- ‘The indigenous population was so reduced by disease, malnutrition, and human 'snipe-shooting parties'.’
- ‘Some whites regarded 'snipe shooting' as a 'Sunday' sport.’
- ‘"Snipe-shooting parties", whose real game was Aborigines, were common.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.