One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog trained to find drugs or explosives by smell.
- ‘Replace the false bottom, slam the tailgate and not even a customs officer with a sniffer dog is going to be able to find that back window of yours.’
- ‘A tutor takes a sniffer dog through its routine training practise.’
- ‘This sniffer dog has been helping out the investigators with its unique sense of smell for the past seven years.’
- ‘Soon, he was asked to train a sniffer dog for the police department.’
- ‘They were discovered by a sniffer dog trained to find tobacco.’
- ‘However, animal trainers defended the role of the sniffer dog and said a machine would never be able to take over completely.’
- ‘When the rescuers returned, the sniffer dog whined, indicating it detected the smell of a corpse.’
- ‘Only two women permanently work at the premises and it was terrifying when police officers turned up with a sniffer dog to search for drugs.’
- ‘A police sniffer dog also uncovered nine blocks of cannabis resin worth £2,000, hidden in a nearby car.’
- ‘A sniffer dog was used to check for drugs and guns.’
- ‘Last Saturday, a dog handler had to be flown from Shannon to Dublin to collect a drugs sniffer dog for a search, the conference was told.’
- ‘Nearly 40 rescue workers, helped by a police helicopter and a sniffer dog combed the woods searching for the biker on Saturday last week.’
- ‘The drugs were so well hidden in the bodywork of the car it took a police sniffer dog to find them.’
- ‘They used a sniffer dog to check for drugs and arrested seven men throughout the operation on Wednesday.’
- ‘A paramedic from Lancashire has jetted out to Iran with his sniffer dog to hunt for survivors trapped in the wreckage of the devastating earthquake there.’
- ‘She was watching a policeman demonstrate his sniffer dog's ability.’
- ‘Executing a search warrant under the Misuse of Drugs Act, officers carried out a detailed search of the premises using a sniffer dog, and a number of bags of ‘herbal’ cannabis were found.’
- ‘The sniffer dog makes periodic visits to the temple and an unwary visitor is sure to be frightened at the sight of the canine.’
- ‘During the search, in which a sniffer dog was used, they also arrested another woman for an alleged drugs-related offence.’
- ‘The device was found under a flower pot on the patio of the pub by a police sniffer dog shortly after 6am following an extensive police operation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.