One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘With almost malevolent emphasis, newscasters snidely tell us that we're too fat, citing facts or pseudo-facts from this institute or that institute.’
- ‘Too late I remembered the Spanish for ‘very small’ and began to play out alternative scenarios in which I snidely put him in his place.’
- ‘Yet still the staff carried on as if we didn't really exist, and at the conclusion of our dining, we were snidely asked if we enjoyed our meal.’
- ‘And I ask that question in dead earnest, not snidely.’
- ‘‘Of course you wouldn't,’ she replied snidely.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.