One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An eyesight test using rows of letters printed in successively decreasing sizes (the Snellen scale) of which patients are asked to read as many as they can.
- ‘The Snellen test for visual acuity is the test most commonly used and is based on distance vision.’
- ‘The Snellen scale tests distance visual acuity (distance vision) and is only one of the tests done to assess eyesight.’
- ‘Failing the department's Snellen test is indicative of generally poor visual ability, especially among 70 + year old drivers.’
- ‘As with the Snellen test, each eye is tested separately and then together, with and without corrective lenses.’
- ‘The values represented here are estimates of how the child would have scored on the Snellen scale.’
Mid 19th century: named after Hermann Snellen (1834–1908), Dutch ophthalmologist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.