One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a dog) irritable and inclined to bite.bad-tempered, irascible, irritable, grumpy, grouchy, crotchety, tetchy, testy, crusty, curmudgeonly, ill-tempered, ill-natured, ill-humoured, peevish, cross, as cross as two sticks, fractious, disagreeable, pettish, crabbed, crabby, waspish, prickly, peppery, touchy, scratchy, splenetic, shrewish, short-tempered, hot-tempered, quick-tempered, dyspeptic, choleric, bilious, liverish, cross-grainedView synonyms
- 1.1 Irritable and curt.‘she was often snappish with the children’
terse, brusque, abrupt, clipped, blunt, short, monosyllabic, summary, snappy, sharp, crisp, tartView synonyms
- ‘I was snappish and rude to either of my parents if they spoke to me and I dragged my feet, glaring down at the linoleum floor beneath my scorched sneakers, which had somehow managed to be salvaged.’
- ‘I'd noticed that in a few short hours that his curt and snappish side was back.’
- ‘She'd been rude and snappish, but Seth had a couple of times glimpsed a softer side, he'd thought.’
- ‘The excess energy from quitting smoking has apparently slipped away and I'm in that dangerous stage in the battle where I'm crabby and snappish.’
- ‘‘Shorten my name,’ I clarified in a curt, snappish tone.’
- 1.1 Irritable and curt.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.