One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant bearing spikes of brightly coloured two-lobed flowers which gape like a mouth when a bee lands on the curved lip.
Antirrhinum majus, family Scrophulariaceae
- ‘Seed sowing is well under way now, especially for plants like snapdragons and pansies which germinate early and take time to grow to a decent size.’
- ‘Bilaterally symmetrical flowers, such as snapdragons and sweet peas, have distinctive upper and lower petals and are therefore asymmetric from top to bottom.’
- ‘Plant several poppies as your tall center flowers, then add colorful snapdragons or blue salvia, candytuft, pansies, and sweet alyssum or Dusty Miller to fill out your container.’
- ‘There are a number of cool-season vegetables to plant, along with flowers such as dianthus, petunias, snapdragons and violas.’
- ‘Children also like anything with a tactile element - snapdragons they can gently open and close, and foxgloves, which are just the right size for small fingers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.