One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular A board game in which players move counters towards a goal at the top of the board, gaining an advantage by moving up pictures of ladders or a disadvantage by moving down pictures of snakes.
- ‘He came to a low table where some children were playing snakes and ladders, a game of pure luck.’
- ‘In this game of snakes and ladders, it is possible to come down a ladder and climb to triumph on the venom of a snake.’
- ‘It was like having to go back to the first row in a game of snakes and ladders.’
- ‘A special games area has been set aside for family use with giant board games, including snakes and ladders, chess and Connect 4.’
- ‘Evening entertainment included games of ludo, snakes and ladders and draughts.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.