Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A freshwater fish with a broad, heavily scaled head and a long cylindrical body, native to tropical Africa and Asia.
- ‘The snakehead is native to the Yangtze River region of China and is capable of wiping out all the species of one pond and moving on its belly and fins to the next pond.’
- ‘The snakehead, a particularly nasty beast of a fish from Asia, is highly aggressive and a voracious predator.’
- ‘Battle against snakeheads in Pine Lake in Wheaton, Md., began in April with temporary removal of native fish before lake drainage (top).’
- ‘Besides figuring out a way to eliminate the snakeheads from the Crofton pond, the group is likely to recommend searching for snakeheads in other freshwater bodies.’
- ‘The aquarium industry is already recognized as a source of freshwater invasive species such as the snakehead.’
2A member of a Chinese criminal network chiefly engaged in smuggling illegal immigrants to the West.
- ‘A police spokesman said targeting snakeheads is key to obstructing illegal immigration.’
- ‘They're filthy, they rarely, if ever, have any lifesaving equipment, no life vests, they frequently run out of water and food and migrants are abused by the snakeheads acting as enforcers on these boats.’
- ‘Recently, snakeheads have not used large fishing vessels as a means of transporting their cargo, favoring instead small containers that can hold less than 10 people.’
- ‘Once they receive word of the travel arrangements from local snakeheads, migrants gather just prior to departure on one of hundreds of islands off the Fujian coast.’
- ‘Border police in the eastern coastal province of Fujian have arrested 160 snakeheads in the past five months.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.