Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Doomed to misfortune; unlucky.‘the snakebitten space shuttle chalked up a fourth launch delay’
- ‘He's a gifted player who could help the Lions - if he isn't snakebitten.’
- ‘According to Mackie, the outburst was a long time coming for Jamani, who has been snakebitten during a first-half slump.’
- ‘Those of us snakebitten by the Hollywood dream - failed screenwriters, underemployed musicians - flock to the Clippers.’
- ‘For a team that's spent recent years snakebitten, it was an injury to Tom Gugliotta in December that provided a fortunate turning point for the season: the rise of Stoudemire.’
- ‘The snakebitten Gators should have far more going for them than last year, when they lost more manpower to injuries than any other team in the country.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.