One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fence made of roughly split rails or poles joined in a zigzag pattern with their ends crossing.
- ‘His proposal also calls for clear-cutting the overgrown remnant of a 30-acre cornfield that figured prominently in the battle, and installing a 500-foot snake fence along a historic fenceline.’
- ‘Nowadays, the old cedar snake fences have been replaced on most working farms by electric fences, or various kinds of wire.’
- ‘The roads are much improved, and snake-rail fences have been replaced with barbed wire.’
- ‘A big advantage of the snake fences was that they could be moved but I guess after a while they were considered a waste of space and got converted to straight rail like ours.’
- ‘Eventually post-and-rail fences began to displace snake fences because they required less timber and wasted less land; however, they were far more labor intensive to build.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.