One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An entertainer who appears to make snakes move by playing music.
- ‘Recalling his own childhood, Saraswat said he used to have so much leisure time that watching a snake charmer's performance was irresistible anytime the sound of a flute was heard.’
- ‘It was a distinctly Far Eastern piece of music, with the rhythmic drum beat and shrill melody of the snake charmer's flute.’
- ‘It was hauntingly beautiful, and she found herself fascinated by it, in much the same way a cobra would be by a snake charmer.’
- ‘Blowing the pipe to the tune of ‘aadu paambe, aadu’, the little snake charmer not only dictates the cobras but also mesmerises the public to hurl paisas from their pockets.’
- ‘Despite laws against both unlicensed ownership of a cobra and defanging, snake charmers still perform in India.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.