One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An entertainer who appears to make snakes move by playing music.
- ‘Despite laws against both unlicensed ownership of a cobra and defanging, snake charmers still perform in India.’
- ‘It was hauntingly beautiful, and she found herself fascinated by it, in much the same way a cobra would be by a snake charmer.’
- ‘Blowing the pipe to the tune of ‘aadu paambe, aadu’, the little snake charmer not only dictates the cobras but also mesmerises the public to hurl paisas from their pockets.’
- ‘Recalling his own childhood, Saraswat said he used to have so much leisure time that watching a snake charmer's performance was irresistible anytime the sound of a flute was heard.’
- ‘It was a distinctly Far Eastern piece of music, with the rhythmic drum beat and shrill melody of the snake charmer's flute.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.