Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ability or tendency to use insincere flattery or persuasion.‘your smooth tongue could even turn your mistakes to your advantage’
- ‘‘You look stunning, Kathleen,’ Brett said with a smile, maintaining his smooth tongue from his womanizing days and his job as a criminal lawyer.’
- ‘If there's one more thing I don't like about you, it's that smooth tongue of yours.’
- ‘There may be, indeed, a smooth tongue, where there is a false heart.’
- ‘While Klink senses that his American counterpart isn't as helpful as he seems, Hogan manages to assuage his concerns with a smooth tongue, playing to Klink's ego and fears.’
- ‘God, it wasn't fair for God to give a man both looks and the smooth tongue.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.