One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Charming or flattering language, especially when used to persuade someone to do something.
flattery, blarney, blandishments, honeyed wordsView synonyms
- ‘Behind the suit and smooth talk this man is a criminal who has organised and financed murder and torture.’
- ‘Despite Bush's smooth talk in New York yesterday, his position remains that America does not need a ‘permission slip’ from anybody to do anything.’
- ‘Some bullies are active and aggressive; others are reserved and manipulative, relying on smooth talk and lies.’
- ‘I knew how close Andy and Vicki were, and I knew that Andy was the one that had been warning her against my smooth talk.’
- ‘His name was Val, he had a wife somewhere, and he thought he was irresistible to the ladies, with his stylish toupee, his swagger, his smooth talk in both French and English, and his shiny new cars.’
Use charming or flattering language to persuade (someone) to do something.‘don't try to smooth-talk me’
persuasive, plausible, credible, silver-tongued, smooth-tongued, smooth-spoken, slick, glib, eloquent, fast-talking, suave, ingratiating, silky, unctuous, obsequious, fawning, sycophantic, flatteringView synonyms
- ‘An 82-year-old widow who lost more than £14,000 when a smooth-talking con man convinced her she had won a huge windfall on the Canadian lottery warned other people not to be taken in.’
- ‘Find out how a smooth-talking felon managed to build trust and make friends in a small town.’
- ‘‘Well, if I look that good and you smooth talk him that much, we probably can land that interview you want with him,’ Roxanne said.’
- ‘This time around it's Jude Law who shows us the sexy as a smooth-talking philanderer in a modern day version of the classic.’
- ‘The momentum is maintained throughout, with 007 pitted against yet more villains intent on world domination, armed with his usual array of glib one-liners, smooth-talking charm and life-saving gadgets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.