Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Kiss and cuddle amorously.‘the young lovers smooched in their car’
- ‘Lovers walked together against the flowers, or sat on a bench, smooching to their hearts' delight.’
- ‘Grayson and I spent a lot of time together, rolling around, sitting in laps, and being smooched.’
- ‘You two can't smooch in there since your mother is in the kitchen.’
- ‘I gulped as they smooched - for quite a long time, too - and wished more than anything that it was me he was kissing.’
- ‘There was a rumour of something going on between the two, but as far as the boy was concerned, as long as they didn't smooch in front of him (he shivered in disgust), he was fine with it.’
- 1.1British Dance slowly in a close embrace.‘in the slow numbers she gave him no encouragement to smooch with her’
- ‘Although some of the lyrics aren't appropriate, I love this song all the same… and I would love to be dancing and smooching up against my man to it.’
1A kiss or a spell of amorous kissing and cuddling.‘he moved in for a big smooch’
air kissView synonyms
- ‘I once saw a young girl from the audience land a smooch on the cheek of a stoutly-built male singer, whose singing was notoriously out of tune.’
- ‘Its romance though, is a magnet for lovers, and many pause to throw in their coins and seal their hopes with a smooch.’
- ‘Confetti was all around and Chris and I planted a big smooch on each other.’
- ‘The spirited young girl wrapped her arms around her brother's neck, giving him a big smooch on the cheek.’
- ‘Lovers kissed, sharing their first smooch of the year.’
- 1.1British A period of slow dancing in a close embrace.‘they suggest a dance but it turns into a smooch’
1930s: from dialect smouch, of imitative origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.