One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural smokosAustralian, NZ
A rest from work for a smoke; a tea break.
interval, interlude, entr'acte, break, recess, pause, rest, respite, breathing space, lull, gap, stop, stoppage, haltView synonyms
- ‘Ten years ago you used to have awards that specified smokos - you know, start, smoko, morning tea, lunch, afternoon smoko, finish.’
- ‘They have to get themselves here on time… we give them lunch and smoko breaks.’
- ‘Peter Costello said that it's time they traded away lunch breaks, time they traded away smokos, time they traded away coffee breaks.’
- ‘I swear that it rained for 72 hours with no more than a 5 minute break for smoko.’
- ‘It was supposed to be working, but the construction team was on a smoko and it was resting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.