One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rest from work for a smoke; a tea break.
interval, interlude, entr'acte, break, recess, pause, rest, respite, breathing space, lull, gap, stop, stoppage, haltView synonyms
- ‘It was supposed to be working, but the construction team was on a smoko and it was resting.’
- ‘Peter Costello said that it's time they traded away lunch breaks, time they traded away smokos, time they traded away coffee breaks.’
- ‘I swear that it rained for 72 hours with no more than a 5 minute break for smoko.’
- ‘Ten years ago you used to have awards that specified smokos - you know, start, smoko, morning tea, lunch, afternoon smoko, finish.’
- ‘They have to get themselves here on time… we give them lunch and smoko breaks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.