One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A room set aside for smoking in a hotel or other public building.
- ‘A smoking room in public places and office buildings would definitely be a better alternative to having people clumped around the entrances to public places puffing away.’
- ‘Highland Council is also phasing out all smoking rooms and offering nicotine patches, hypnotherapy and acupuncture to help beat their habit.’
- ‘Our results suggest a better solution would be to provide alternative places for smoking in public, such as smoking rooms in bars.’
- ‘It had all the facilities of an hotel, including carpeting, dining rooms, and a smoking room.’
- ‘Smokers are directed to three special shelters which were built in the grounds last year - although staff still have smoking rooms and there are smoking rooms for patients too ill or incapacitated to get to the outdoor shelters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.