One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A district in which it is illegal to create smoke and where only smokeless fuel may be used.
- ‘And isn't the New Town supposed to be a smokeless zone?’
- ‘A five-strong deputation met Bolton Health Committee members yesterday to discuss problems and complaints which have arisen from the introduction of a smokeless zone.’
- ‘Bradford may soon have its first smokeless zone if a special meeting of the Corporation Health Committee, which is being called to consider the subject, approves the project.’
- ‘Bradford Health Committee is recommending that 20 smokeless zones be established in the city, one in the central area and the remainder covering housing estates in the outskirts.’
- ‘Scarborough Council says it may have to make at least part of the village a smokeless zone, to ensure Government targets for air quality are met.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.