One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A district in which it is illegal to create smoke and where only smokeless fuel may be used.
- ‘A five-strong deputation met Bolton Health Committee members yesterday to discuss problems and complaints which have arisen from the introduction of a smokeless zone.’
- ‘Bradford Health Committee is recommending that 20 smokeless zones be established in the city, one in the central area and the remainder covering housing estates in the outskirts.’
- ‘And isn't the New Town supposed to be a smokeless zone?’
- ‘Scarborough Council says it may have to make at least part of the village a smokeless zone, to ensure Government targets for air quality are met.’
- ‘Bradford may soon have its first smokeless zone if a special meeting of the Corporation Health Committee, which is being called to consider the subject, approves the project.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.