One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A firefighter who arrives by parachute to extinguish a forest fire.
- ‘Aboard, with Edgar Mitchell and Alan Shepard Jr. was Stuart Allen Roosa, also known as ‘Smokey’ for his background as a U.S. Forest Service smokejumper (firefighters who jump from planes into forests to battle raging fires).’
- ‘The smokejumpers landed in the head of the gulch, a half mile below visible fire.’
- ‘The smokejumpers had been in existence for only a decade, and firefighting was a simple, adventurous affair-get to every fire quickly, the standing orders said, and have it under control by 10: 00 A.M. the next morning.’
- ‘As we looked into the yawning gulch, Sallee remarked on a continuing mystery of the fire: how it had managed to get below the smokejumpers without them seeing it.’
- ‘BlackHawk Products Group has announced the acquisition of Wildfire Warrior, manufacturer of wild land fire fighting tools for hot shot crews and smokejumpers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.