One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A firefighter who arrives by parachute to extinguish a forest fire.
- ‘Aboard, with Edgar Mitchell and Alan Shepard Jr. was Stuart Allen Roosa, also known as ‘Smokey’ for his background as a U.S. Forest Service smokejumper (firefighters who jump from planes into forests to battle raging fires).’
- ‘The smokejumpers landed in the head of the gulch, a half mile below visible fire.’
- ‘As we looked into the yawning gulch, Sallee remarked on a continuing mystery of the fire: how it had managed to get below the smokejumpers without them seeing it.’
- ‘BlackHawk Products Group has announced the acquisition of Wildfire Warrior, manufacturer of wild land fire fighting tools for hot shot crews and smokejumpers.’
- ‘The smokejumpers had been in existence for only a decade, and firefighting was a simple, adventurous affair-get to every fire quickly, the standing orders said, and have it under control by 10: 00 A.M. the next morning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.