One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shed or room for curing food by exposure to smoke.
hut, lean-to, outhouse, outbuilding, shackView synonyms
- ‘A century ago there were more than 40 smokehouses in Hull, curing thousands of tonnes of fish landed at the docks.’
- ‘The Burren Smokehouse is a traditional smokehouse producing quality oak smoked Irish salmon, trout, mackerel and eel.’
- ‘Connemara Smokehouse is one of the few remaining smokehouses specialising in Wild smoked, marinated and roast Irish salmon.’
- ‘He smoked his own hams in his smokehouse and fed his pigs some of the peaches from his trees to make them more succulent.’
- ‘The ancient art of smoking fish is still thriving in smokehouses around Britain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.