One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decoration on a garment created by gathering a section of the material into tight pleats and holding them together with parallel stitches in an ornamental pattern.
- ‘Because the smocking is done as an insert rather than at the top of the skirt front piece, the skirt length will need to be shortened.’
- ‘Scallop-edged eyelet and smocking provide a summery look, regardless of the season.’
- ‘Siobhan O'Musca's fingers flew as she gathered and tacked the smocking on the bodice of the ivory-colored ball gown.’
- ‘The latest fad in the world of fashion is to go in for fusion wears, which is an intricate mix of conventional patterns with contemporary smocking.’
- ‘The stitchers display dazzling skill and finesse, creating textured surfaces of petit point, needlepoint, beading, embroidery, appliqué, smocking and macramé.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.