One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Smiling; cheerful.‘he drew a smiley face’
cheerful, happy, jolly, merry, bright, sunny, joyous, light-hearted, in good spirits, in high spirits, sparkling, bubbly, effervescent, exuberant, ebullient, cock-a-hoop, breezy, airy, cheery, sprightly, jaunty, smiling, grinning, beaming, laughing, mirthful, radiantView synonyms
- ‘However, walking in the store today, with all the lights twinkling and everything looking rather bright, gave me a warm, smiley feeling inside.’
- ‘He had once seemed mysterious, but I knew he was just as smiley and happy as the rest when they all broke into laughter at his remarks.’
- ‘A festival of smiley faces, sparkling costumes and the sound of steel band drummers created a sunshine atmosphere.’
- ‘They are very smiley and friendly in there every afternoon, and chat to us as they make our tea, so asked if we'd like them to get in any special food for us, and whether we'd like to make it a nice long leisurely lunch.’
- ‘People like Mick Hartford used to say he played better when he was angry, he couldn't do himself justice when he was smiley and happy.’
A symbol representing a smiling face that is used in written communication to indicate that the writer is pleased or joking, especially one formed by the characters :-).
- ‘As we become enthralled in our internet lives, we learn to use font size and smilies to emphasise words and feelings we're experiencing at that time.’
- ‘At times, I'm sitting here, feeling morose and depressed or whatever - not feeling bright and chipper - and hiding that in conversations online with smilies and jokes and lighthearted chitchat.’
- ‘I don't use many smileys when I communicate on Instant Messenger.’
- ‘Multiple exclamation points have their place - in amongst hearts and flowers and smileys and emoticons and xxxx and x0x0x0x0 (to the uninitiated that's hugs and kisses) - in other words ‘nice, girly gossip’.’
- ‘Internet users love extras, and adding customizable interactions such as signatures and smilies will help keep visitors coming back.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.