One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pungent substance sniffed as a restorative in cases of faintness or headache, typically consisting of ammonium carbonate mixed with perfume.
- ‘Several maids were trying to revive her with smelling salts.’
- ‘She took a deep sniff of her smelling salts. ‘I've been worried sick!’’
- ‘Alex was waving some smelling salts in front of her face.’
- ‘Kodi's eyes snapped open as he fell into a coughing fit caused by the ammonia in the smelling salts.’
- ‘With a sputtering cough, Cyrus was jerked back into consciousness, the acrid ammonia fumes of the smelling salts under his nose doing their job.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.