One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small bottle containing smelling salts or perfume.
- ‘Its scale and horizontal placement brings to mind those first American-made pungent smelling bottles, but the elegance of the design is more like that of a piece of fine jewelry.’
- ‘Small blown smelling bottles with applied rigaree and trailed embellishments were also popular at this time.’
- ‘So great grew the excitement, that women were carried out fainting, smelling bottles were handed round, while sobs and even screams were heard on every side.’
- ‘In Paris they put in a number of nick-nacks, little almanacks, smelling bottles with essences, and even things of value for presents.’
- ‘Handkerchiefs were pulled out; smelling bottles were handed round; hysterical sobs and screams were heard: and Mrs. Sheridan was carried out in a fit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.