One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small bottle containing smelling salts or perfume.
- ‘In Paris they put in a number of nick-nacks, little almanacks, smelling bottles with essences, and even things of value for presents.’
- ‘Small blown smelling bottles with applied rigaree and trailed embellishments were also popular at this time.’
- ‘Its scale and horizontal placement brings to mind those first American-made pungent smelling bottles, but the elegance of the design is more like that of a piece of fine jewelry.’
- ‘Handkerchiefs were pulled out; smelling bottles were handed round; hysterical sobs and screams were heard: and Mrs. Sheridan was carried out in a fit.’
- ‘So great grew the excitement, that women were carried out fainting, smelling bottles were handed round, while sobs and even screams were heard on every side.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.