Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A test carried out on a sample of cells from the cervix to check for abnormalities that may be indicative of cervical cancer.See cervical smear
- ‘If a biopsy confirms the dyskaryosis detected in a smear test, this may be termed cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, which is just another way of saying cervical cell changes.’
- ‘She was diagnosed with cervical cancer after a routine smear test in 2002.’
- ‘Eighteen months earlier, a routine smear test had shown abnormal cells, but further tests revealed no sign of cancer.’
- ‘It is recommended that women go every year for a pap smear test, which can detect early warning signs of cancer, but many walk-in clinics don't do such routine screenings.’
- ‘The group acknowledges that the current smear test, which was introduced in the 1940s, has been effective in reducing deaths from cervical cancer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.