One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A test carried out on a sample of cells from the cervix to check for abnormalities that may be indicative of cervical cancer.See cervical smear
- ‘Eighteen months earlier, a routine smear test had shown abnormal cells, but further tests revealed no sign of cancer.’
- ‘She was diagnosed with cervical cancer after a routine smear test in 2002.’
- ‘It is recommended that women go every year for a pap smear test, which can detect early warning signs of cancer, but many walk-in clinics don't do such routine screenings.’
- ‘If a biopsy confirms the dyskaryosis detected in a smear test, this may be termed cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, which is just another way of saying cervical cell changes.’
- ‘The group acknowledges that the current smear test, which was introduced in the 1940s, has been effective in reducing deaths from cervical cancer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.