One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excellent; wonderful.‘you look smashing!’
wonderful, marvellous, excellent, splendid, magnificent, superb, amazing, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightfulView synonyms
- ‘All indications suggest it will be a smashing success.’
- ‘Thank you everyone, marvellous entertainment and smashing, friendly people, lots of them!’
- ‘Reaction to his role in MIT was excellent, he says, with ‘some lovely reviews and smashing comments’.’
- ‘But as the years go by, we realize what a smashing wonderful star she was.’
- ‘Letting famous film directors direct operas has resulted in both smashing successes and dismal failures.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.