Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mobile phone that performs many of the functions of a computer, typically having a touchscreen interface, Internet access, and an operating system capable of running downloaded apps.
- ‘Despite this scepticism about mobile apps there's better news for makers of smartphones and PDAs from the survey.’
- ‘So, are we about to see a blanket ban on smartphones, and on notebook computers, in the air?’
- ‘It's not an operating system for smartphones - more a smart system for operating phones.’
- ‘The new strategy reverses their plans, announced in July, to launch a smartphone.’
- ‘Buy PDAs, smartphones and accessories from our mobile store’
- ‘Your view to this, about PDAs and smartphones being the same thing, except for connectivity, is interesting.’
- ‘One thing's for sure, those wanting to access corporate data on the move can now choose from a variety of solutions from smartphones to lug-able laptops.’
- ‘The most obvious option - the acquisition of a proven smartphone operating system and hardware design team - doesn't exist.’
- ‘As smartphones and wireless-enabled PDAs evolve, business users can conceivably replace their personal computers.’
- ‘But at just 1.7 per cent of the handset market, smartphones remain a minority interest among mobile phone users.’
- ‘Despite all the anxiety and industry noise surrounding the choice of operating systems for smartphones, the final arbiter is user experience.’
- ‘Visit our mobile store for the best value PDAs, smartphones and accessories’
- ‘Some argue that 3G itself is a form of FMC, as are IP-enabled smartphones that can download applications.’
- ‘Now smartphones and wireless PDAs are creating new applications, as they become slim mobile clients.’
- ‘The other factor that will be important in achieving a broader market for smartphones will be the operating system.’
- ‘Still, as more handsets invariably take on PDA functionality, it's hard to see PDAs out-selling smartphones for very much longer.’
- ‘Both PDAs and smartphones are personal devices that offer a natural home for your address book.’
- ‘Currently, Wi-Fi is mainly available in laptops, smartphones and as part of a broadband home gateway, all devices that are priced at several hundred dollars or more.’
- ‘However, PDAs will face increasing competition from smartphones and other converged multimedia devices offering similar functionalities over the forecast period.’
- ‘With smartphones equipped with megapixel cameras due later this year, that generate ever larger images, this will become even more expensive.’
1980s (first referring to a telephone enhanced with computer technology): from smart and phone.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.