Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mobile phone that performs many of the functions of a computer, typically having a touchscreen interface, Internet access, and an operating system capable of running downloaded apps.
- ‘So, are we about to see a blanket ban on smartphones, and on notebook computers, in the air?’
- ‘The most obvious option - the acquisition of a proven smartphone operating system and hardware design team - doesn't exist.’
- ‘One thing's for sure, those wanting to access corporate data on the move can now choose from a variety of solutions from smartphones to lug-able laptops.’
- ‘Still, as more handsets invariably take on PDA functionality, it's hard to see PDAs out-selling smartphones for very much longer.’
- ‘However, PDAs will face increasing competition from smartphones and other converged multimedia devices offering similar functionalities over the forecast period.’
- ‘Now smartphones and wireless PDAs are creating new applications, as they become slim mobile clients.’
- ‘Some argue that 3G itself is a form of FMC, as are IP-enabled smartphones that can download applications.’
- ‘The new strategy reverses their plans, announced in July, to launch a smartphone.’
- ‘Buy PDAs, smartphones and accessories from our mobile store’
- ‘It's not an operating system for smartphones - more a smart system for operating phones.’
- ‘But at just 1.7 per cent of the handset market, smartphones remain a minority interest among mobile phone users.’
- ‘Visit our mobile store for the best value PDAs, smartphones and accessories’
- ‘As smartphones and wireless-enabled PDAs evolve, business users can conceivably replace their personal computers.’
- ‘Your view to this, about PDAs and smartphones being the same thing, except for connectivity, is interesting.’
- ‘Despite this scepticism about mobile apps there's better news for makers of smartphones and PDAs from the survey.’
- ‘With smartphones equipped with megapixel cameras due later this year, that generate ever larger images, this will become even more expensive.’
- ‘Despite all the anxiety and industry noise surrounding the choice of operating systems for smartphones, the final arbiter is user experience.’
- ‘The other factor that will be important in achieving a broader market for smartphones will be the operating system.’
- ‘Both PDAs and smartphones are personal devices that offer a natural home for your address book.’
- ‘Currently, Wi-Fi is mainly available in laptops, smartphones and as part of a broadband home gateway, all devices that are priced at several hundred dollars or more.’
1980s (first referring to a telephone enhanced with computer technology): from smart and phone.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.