Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Quickly; briskly.‘get over here smartish!’
- ‘You know simpler is better than complicated and that if someone is speaking a language you can't understand, you'd best get out of there smartish.’
- ‘So now I'm back home again… only to have to pack my bag pretty smartish, for tomorrow I will be on my travels again.’
- ‘If you haven't had a gander at either, get yourselves along smartish.’
- ‘But if I had tried to deny that there was any political, cultural or social context for the violence in Ireland, I fancy that I would have been shown the door pretty smartish.’
- ‘By the time he was within a few yards I was getting slightly wound up and told him to ‘go away’ (I forget my exact words), but he left pretty smartish.’
- ‘Not that I bought or read it anyway, but I crossed it off my list of ‘Things To Do In My Lifetime’ pretty smartish.’
- ‘So I nipped back inside smartish and flipped the switch, then back out to check that it was bubbling away and filling the bowl.’
- ‘If your customers decide that they no longer like what you produce, then you had better produce something else, smartish.’
- ‘Gravesen attempts a shot on goal and brings a smartish save out of Sylva.’
- ‘There was 40 to 50 of them and we realised that if we didn't get back into the vehicle pretty smartish we would get mutilated.’
- ‘Shevchenko brings a smartish save out of Toldo with a cross that sort of morphed (peerless technical speak, I know) into a shot because the goalkeeper was out of position.’
- ‘So, thinking that I could sell them for more on eBay, I snapped them up pretty smartish.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.