One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
unctuousness, smoothness, slickness, oiliness, greasiness, fulsomeness, obsequiousnessView synonyms
- ‘You can't help but be engaged by the singer's growly, smoker's lung delivery or the band's all around smarminess.’
- ‘The two meet at a cocktail party where Tomlinson comes on strong, but has the pretty-boy good looks to float a smarminess that would earn your average guy an old fashioned slap in the face.’
- ‘But setting his smarminess aside, the accuracy of his riff on Berger is actually apropos of the rest of his remarks.’
- ‘But is anyone else finding the self-congratulatory smarminess of their fellow Australians as repulsive as I am?’
- ‘When she got home and switched on the TV, however, she found Al's audible substance diminished by his visible smarminess.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.