One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
unctuousness, smoothness, slickness, oiliness, greasiness, fulsomeness, obsequiousnessView synonyms
- ‘When she got home and switched on the TV, however, she found Al's audible substance diminished by his visible smarminess.’
- ‘You can't help but be engaged by the singer's growly, smoker's lung delivery or the band's all around smarminess.’
- ‘But setting his smarminess aside, the accuracy of his riff on Berger is actually apropos of the rest of his remarks.’
- ‘The two meet at a cocktail party where Tomlinson comes on strong, but has the pretty-boy good looks to float a smarminess that would earn your average guy an old fashioned slap in the face.’
- ‘But is anyone else finding the self-congratulatory smarminess of their fellow Australians as repulsive as I am?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.