One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘If you asked him anything at all, he would reply, smarmily, ‘Well, that is the question, isn't it?’’
- ‘For eighty-six years the Sox bore the terrible curse - the burnt devil mark of the demon Yankees, smarmily collecting win upon win with a sense of bloated entitlement.’
- ‘They'll all be there with their snouts in the trough; all grinning smarmily and slapping backs; all trying to outdo each other with acts of screaming political correctness.’
- ‘And as far as Jay's statement in smarmily choosing to stereotype Christians, I choose to offer the other cheek.’
- ‘Simon notes that he's going hatless and being a bit smarmily please-the-parents-y: ‘I prefer the other side of you, to be honest.’’
- ‘A visitor from California is Diana's brother, Adam, who is running for Congress, accompanied by his young, smarmily solicitous secretary, Jamie.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.